Mains- Optional Strategy ( Electrical Engineering) by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, UPSC CSE 2019)

 This post is to discuss about my tryst with the optional paper and my detailed strategy with respect to the Electrical Engineering Paper. 

Choosing the optional 

We need to view optional as an open field which UPSC has provided to us to so that we can mould our preparation to our ease. So it is advisable that we look beyond the myths and make a matured decision. If you see the selection list you will find that it is possible to clear this exam with every optional ( Humanities, Literature, Science, Technical subjects ) . Yes, there are some optionals which finds a good number of selected candidates every year. Yes, there are some optionals which give exceptional scores , say above 320 . But extrapolating these general statistics to one's individual exam strategy needs a rethink  ! To simplify this process , lets look at the factors ( not exhaustive) you should consider while choosing optional 

1) Interest :- one's inclination and curiosity towards a subject . This will help us to sail through the tough times easily 

2) Prior exposure :- familiarity with the subject during graduation, school etc. This saves lot of time which one can utilise for GS

3) Resource availability :- usually optionals having a large number of takers have a good market availability of notes, test series etc. 

4) Performance in the optional:- the highest marks and percentage of selected candidates in previous few years. Though I feel that this factor is given too much importance than what it deserves 

5) Alternate career plans :- We all know how uncertain UPSC CSE is. So , one can plan her back up career with optional also. Ex. ESE exam for engineering optionals.

So going by above points , my subject i.e. Electrical Engineering ticked positively for points 1 , 2 and 5 but negatively for 3 and 4. However when I went through the syllabus and glanced through the previous year papers , I felt more or less confident and decided to go with it. One advantage that I had was being an attentive student during my college days. I enjoyed studying Electrical Engineering from respected professors in IIT Kgp. But I had not decided on my civil service career till my final semester. 

My sources and strategy 

There are some very good youtube videos and blogs, write-ups of previous toppers of CSE with EE optional ( Chahat Bajpai , Surabhi Gautam, Rushikesh Reddy, RishiRaj) . I strongly advise the future aspirants to go though their comprehensive strategies. They have listed out all the standard books etc very well. However, my case was a bit distorted.  I understood the importance of reading textbooks and practising solved examples etc . But due to my job and short time of preparation ( unfamiliarity with GS subjects etc) I had to take short cuts .

 I started studying the optional around June 2018 and completed one round of reading ( covering 80 percent of the syllabus ) within December 2018. I used to interleave it with GS. After this , I completely lost touch with optional and again picked it up in June 2019 after prelims. In this phase I completed the remaining parts of the syllabus and focussed heavily on the previous year question papers. 

Here is the topic wise list of my strategy. They are not as per the sequence given in the syllabus but as per I did them in my journey :-

1) Circuit Theory :- Basics were more or less clear from college. But after analysing the previous year questions, I went through youtube lectures from Gatematic and GateAcademy ( especially for topics like Graph theory). I made short notes on concepts like resonance, 2 port networks, dynamic response etc. 

2) Signals & Systems and Analog Communication:- Here also made short notes from basic concepts learnt in college. Made charts on fourier, laplace , z transform techniques etc. I advise aspirants to do lots of practice from previous year papers for this section. Also took help of BP Lathi book for AnaComm and some Nptel lectures and random websites ( I cannot recall the names , since I visited many of them, took down important points and closed it)  for parts like Noise Analysis, Probability etc.  Usually the questions are asked of similar nature ( ex. PLL technique for FM , Noise in DSB AM etc.) . I had taken some electives like Analog Communication, Data Communication in college completely out of interest ...I did not know about upsc then :P . For core EE students, this part might be a bit difficult and may require multiple rounds of revision

3) Machines :- I had a more or less good grasp on this due to classes in IIT kgp. The lectures can also be found at Nptel ( Electrical Machines by Prof. TK Bhattacharya). For left over topics like those on DC Machines , I referred to youtube vidoes ( many channels) and made consolidated notes after understanding.

4) Power Electronics :- This is one of the most conceptually challenging and enriching topics. I had learnt the basic concepts in college from lectures and books like PS Bimbra, Ned Mohan , but I could grasp it only after layers of analysis. It is advised to draw the waveforms ( esp. those on 3 phase converters) and do your own analysis for the average , rms , efficiency calculations etc. Did not make notes as such but practised questions.

5) Power System and power system protection :- Referred selectively to books like Nagrath Kothari , Glover Sarma for mostly solved examples on conventional topics like Power flow, Fault analysis, Economic dispatch , equal area criterion etc. For the protection part, it was not formally covered in college..so learnt basic concepts on relays , circuit breakers from youtube channels like Smile& Learn. I learnt the theory parts ( numerical relays, solid state relays etc 0) from a solution book by Made easy , mostly after prelims. This area also requires dealing with theory, schematics and common techniques ( like problems on Mho relay, Current transformers etc) . So we need to be a bit patient here. 

6) Controls :- This was almost fully covered in college but there were some topics ( ex on signal flow graphs) which I had to do from youtube videos. This is a very scoring area and presentation matters a lot. Example, any question on root locus, Nyquist area needs to solved in steps clearly. So one can refer to books like Ogata for solved examples ( though I did not refer to any book). Out of the 6 topics in Paper 2 , Controls can be the most prominent topic in terms of scoring. So advisable to practise a lot.

7) Analog Electronics :- I did not refer to any book , but had notes of my college lectures on topics like diode, bjt, mosfet, opamps , filters , frequency response etc. For  rest of the topics like oscillators,  jfet , multivibrators etc I watched lectures from Youtube channels like All about Electronics , Neso academy . This is a lengthy area but solving previous year questions can make things easy. 

8) Digital Electronics :- Revised the basics from college course and Morris Mano. Here I think it is very important to analyse trends of previous year papers to get hold of important topics like on PAL, PLA, FPGA , questions on converting on flip flop to the other, counters , Boolean functions etc. 

9) EM theory :- This topic was not known to me by college courses. I relied on Nptel lectures of Prof. RK Shevgaonkar and made notes . But the problems in this section could be mastered only after multiple rounds of practice and retaining (  mean inter relating Maxwell equations, smith charts, transmission lines etc.)

10) Digital Communication :- This area is also generally not known for core EE students. For me also this was unknown. Again I referred to a nptel lecture and youtube videos ( from random channels) to get the concepts and made rough notes. . Most importantly I learnt the general type of questions asked from this block ( sampling rate, baud rate,fdm, waveforms in bpsk, qpsk etc. )

11) Microprocessors :-  Though  I knew the basics of Assembly language coding from courses in college, here I had to focus specifically on 8085 . So Ramesh Gaonkar pdf was the source. I made short notes on the architecture, instruction set, interrupt control etc. For peripheral devices , I understood the interfacing etc from youtube videos in tutorials point . Went through the 8285 ppi , 8086 etc from pdfs available in websites . This section is actually scoring especially if you practice the coding problems

12) Measurements, Instrumentations :- Had an idea about the topics here from 2 courses in college. But did not get time to revise. So noted down important question trends from previous year and had a very half baked preparation for this. 

Afternote and Tips 

1)Along with the above mentioned sources , my main source was the previous year papers. I used to solve them and learn from them parallely ( not like doing theory now and practising later.) . Infact , in the post prelims stage, this was my main area of focus

2) You will also notice that I did not refer to standard books much . This was due to time constraints from my job and covering GS subjects. However if I would have to give a second attempt, I would refer to those books and their solved examples. Ironically I had started with Ashfaq Hussain ( Machines), Badriram ( Power system protection) and CL Wadhwa( Power systems) ,Sadiku ( Em theory) in the lockdown period before the results came out. 

3) Speaking about my actual experience of giving the exam, I would say it was not satisfactory at all. This was due to the fact that I had not done enough practise from exam point of view ( sitting for 3 hours , choosing 5 questions among 8 etc). I had not strategized enough on the time management. Moreover I had not given any mock tests ( again I found them expensive and inconvenient ) and also could not give time for the previous year ESE questions. This was a mistake I would not commit in my next attempt ( I already started solving gate and ese questions in the lockdown). 

 My final tips would be that the final game depends on how well you write and show your solutions on paper. So practising in a time bound manner becomes very important.  

Disclaimer :- The sources and strategy enlisted here was completely fine tuned with my situations ( work constraints, prior knowledge etc) . I would request the readers not to emulate them but take the best of whatever they can. 



Comments

  1. TqU madam for this. Will it be possible for a candidate from neither IIT nor NIT to go for this optinal ?
    Pls reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're comfortable with this subject, you can take it as optional. It doesn't matter you are from IIT or not.

      Delete
  2. Thank you madam . You are an inspiration for all future aspirants .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello mam
    i want to ask you one thing ...i am a little bit confused about previous year papers you have mentioned should i direct download the previous year paper from the upsc site or should i purchase a book instead from market ? Which i think is costly to buy for both the papers and with limited buying options i.e ace and made easy?
    the problem i am facing is if i am keeping with me the unsolved papers than i am not able verify my answers because as such solutions are not available directly?
    Will you plz help me out?
    it will very helpful for me .I will be highly thankful to you.
    Please do reply.
    - A self learner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy MadeEasy solution book for both upsc and ese. Total 4 books. Don't doubt them. Thank me later.

      Delete
  4. Mam , Please share your mains marksheet ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess 230 marks approx. in optional Which is good considering her time constraints.

      Delete
  5. Hello mam, I've been trying to write a lengthy emotional message since morning, but I'm not able to do. So I've decided to express them in simple words.

    I've been waiting from two months for this day to speak these words.

    I can't express in words about the amount of inspiration I've got from you. You've changed many dimensions of my life and gave me a lot of hope.

    I guess you had a unique roller coaster journey, which you've handled with utmost struggle, pain, joy, courage, etc which has shaped you. I wish you face the next stages of life with more courage, zeal, enthusiasm and become more strong, humble, and best version of yourself.

    I remember you saying that Smitha Sabarwal mam has inspired a lot. I wish that you should also become an IAS officer who not only inspires future civil services aspirants, but a person who will achieve a lot in diverse fields, help a lot of poor and weak people, and bring a tremendous change in your personal life and also for the society as a whole. Like Smitha mam, who has mooted different kinds of ideas, strategies for improving maternal health, public health, infrastructure development and many other activities in rural districts, who has motivated public to come and vote in elections by engaging in mass campaigning, who with her own style of hard work has become secretary of CMO at a young age, I wish you also moot many such ideas, bring a lot of new programs, implement the public policy with perfection, bring such a remarkable change in governance, try to reduce the prejudices, stereotypes, discrimination, bring hope to a lot of people, & achieve a successful and satisfied life.

    As your name Neha which means love, on this special occasion of 25th birthday (it's my educated guess that it's 25th birthday), I hope you spread more and more love to your self, to your mother, to your near & dear ones, to other people, to all the public, and the whole humanity as much as possible.

    I wish you enjoy, learn, live each and every day, not just on this day.

    I'm not sure whether these messages would reach you, thus I'm sharing these messages through all possible means. Please excuse me for spamming with these messages through all possible means.

    Finally, I wish you a happy, happier, and the most happiest birthday mam. Also you spend a lot of more birthdays with more and more joy, achievements, memories, experiences, wisdom, and satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ma'am for your valuable guidance in electrical engineering optional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you please share your optional marks, thanking you in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maam please share your some detail startegy for electrical engg optional

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are test series available for electrical optional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NextIAS (Madeeasy) has a test series for engineering subjects optionals.

      Delete
  10. Please share your Mains marks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please share your Mains marks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please share your Mains marks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please share your Mains marks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share your Mains marks.

      Delete
  14. Ma'am your optional marks including how many you attempted and how confident were you in them...answers to questions like this will immensely help us in deciding regarding engineering optional. So I request you to please share the answers of the same as soon as possible. ��

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mam ,in the Exam hall will they provide Graph Sheets required In Control Systems subject?

    ReplyDelete
  16. ABHIPEDIA is proving multiple micro courses for UPSC conducting exams.
    Click here for more info
    https://abhipedia.abhimanu.com/ALL/NABARD/3/Online-Video-Courses

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this blog. I was looking to learn more about electrical because we are one of the leading Control Panel Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  18. IAS is considered to be one of the most difficult competitions among all other exams. Top IAS Coaching In Bangalore.Thus requires proper guidance and direction to get aware of the strategies regarding the exams besides hard work. So a good coaching with every facility required is very much recommended with a location having good transportation, cheap accommodation, Top IAS Coaching In Bangalore. cheap food availability and many more. Keeping in mind the criterions of choosing the location of the preferred coaching Bangalore would be one of the best options for studying IAS.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Best IAS Coaching in Bangalore is the Achievers IAS Academy, the institute has dedicated itself to helping the aspirants of the nation succeed in their competitive examinations since its inception the Achievers IAS Academy has been churning out quality results and has been producing achievers that have helped the nation in numerous ways and take great pride in serving the nation, the institute is highly focused on the overall development of its students and provides students with great quality features and facilities such as comprehensive study material, Top IAS Coaching In Bangaloremock tests, doubt clearing sessions, small batch size classes, motivational sessions, guest seminars, guidance programs, mentorship programs, interactive online classes, online test series, weekly test series, monthly performance reports, online doubt clearing sessions, etc. Top IAS Coaching In Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing such detailed Blog. I am learning a lot from you. Visit my website to get best Information About Best MPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup
    Best MPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup
    Top MPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this post. It proves very informative for me. Great post to read. Visit my website to get best Information About Best UPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup.
    Best UPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup
    Top UPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing such detailed Blog. I am learning a lot from you. Visit my website to get best Information About Best UPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup
    Best UPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup
    Top UPSC Coaching Institute in Bhandup

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mam for mains electrical optional will the semilog graph sheet( for bode plot) be attached to the answer booklet or should we draw it manually?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's really nice post. I appreciate your skills. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Union Budget 2023-24 has been announced by the finance minister Nirmala Sitaraman, She is on Wednesday presented the last full-fledged budget of the second term of Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government.

    ReplyDelete
  26. INDIA – RUSSIA RELATIONS | Ensure IAS

    India and Russia's enduring relationship, initially rooted in the Cold War, has grown into a resilient partnership. Focused on robust defense collaboration seen through joint exercises, the bond extends to exploring economic diversification and joint energy projects. Actively engaged globally in forums like the UN and BRICS, the partnership faces challenges from geopolitical shifts, prompting adaptability. In summary, India and Russia maintain a time-tested bond, navigating contemporary challenges with a foundation built on mutual respect and cooperation.
    INDIA – RUSSIA RELATIONS | Ensure IAS

    ReplyDelete
  27. INDIA-BANGLADESH RELATIONS

    India and Bangladesh, neighbors for 4,000 kilometers, share a strong bond from their joint fight for independence, especially during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War. This history turned into a solid partnership involving culture, economy, and diplomacy. Recent efforts like the Maitree Express and Integrated Check Post show growing economic teamwork. Agreements like the Ganges Water Sharing Treaty highlight joint commitment to resource sustainability. Despite challenges, the India-Bangladesh relationship remains strong, supporting stability and progress in South Asia.
    INDIA-BANGLADESH RELATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey I am sonam from digitak score web
    your article helpfull and usefull
    upsc coaching in delhi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Staying Ahead: Leveraging UPSC Daily Current Affairs for Exam Success
    As an aspirant preparing for the UPSC examination, staying updated with current affairs is not just important; it's indispensable. theIAShub 'News Crux' is a valuable resource that streamlines the vast ocean of daily news into concise, digestible insights tailored for UPSC exam preparation. By integrating UPSC daily current affairs into your study routine, you not only enhance your knowledge base but also sharpen your analytical skills, critical for cracking the exam. Kudos to theIAShub for providing this invaluable tool, empowering aspirants like us to stay ahead in the race towards our UPSC goals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sources , Notemaking and Revising - Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, UPSC 2019)

Mains - Tackling GS1, GS2, GS3 Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, CSE 2019)

Prelims - My Strategy till the D Day by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, CSE 2019)