Mains - Tackling GS1, GS2, GS3 Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, CSE 2019)

 This post will give you an idea of my journey in the post prelims phase with respect to the 3 GS papers. As told earlier, I had not done answer writing practice before prelims. Though I had seen some websites and youtube videos , that one HAS to do lots of  answer writing practice for mains ! As per several toppers talks, I had planned to write 6 to 7 answers everyday after getting back from office and would continue this rigorously till Mains exam. However, this approach appeared very confusing to me.  The questions that came up were :-

1) What is the point of sitting and mechanically writing answers to random questions daily ..how would i remember what I wrote , say 30 days down the line ?

2) How would i revise the new things that i learnt and things learnt before ..how would I rectify my mistakes ?

3) How would I know what to write in what subject if I randomly write answers to all the GS papers together..how would i make a mental map of things I should and should not do ?

I tried hard  to conform with so many topper's strategies ( I mean if many of them are saying the same things there must have been some logic) ..but ultimately wasted 2 weeks this way !!..I realized that this is not suiting me anyhow and that I needed a strategy of my own. So dear readers, I would reiterate this fact that it is perfectly fine if your strategy is different from the herd as long as you are satisfied and aware of the realities of the exam. So do not be afraid to take your final call !! 

Meanwhile I was also attending to my office work and while commuting, eating etc I started listening to Big Picture  debates and  The Hindu important editorials. Sometimes in my office diary only I used to make short notes from these . By this time I had stopped following the monthly magazines and the daily current affairs of different websites. I realized there is no point in revising my Prelims notes and standard sources again. This is because I would revise them but ultimately would not be able to incorporate them in my answers, if I had not practised how to write answers in a short time. I was also having a look at the previous year question paper ( the most precious and freely available resource which we hardly take note of ) in a blockwise manner from websites like that of Mrunal Sir. This is when gradually things started appearing meaningful to me. I could find some patterns from the previous year questions and the philosophy behind the Mains exam became a bit more comprehendible. So , I gradually mapped the entire GS 1, 2 ,3 papers into some blocks and alloted time in a blockwise manner ( say 15 days for block 2 etc) and did answer writing and revision in a per block manner. 

Getting into the groove of Answer Writing 

1) Block 1 ( Ancient, Medieval, modern history, freedom struggle and world history , post independent India, covers GS1 part1) :- Quickly revised whatever I had studied before prelims and went through previous year papers. Did some answer writing ( rather read some answers)  from TLP Iasbaba ( blockwise ) , Insights secure ( compilations) and Vision Ias questions from previous year toppers copies. All are free initiatives. Did not make any notes here. Sometimes it was not possible for me to write everything . So i did MENTAL answer writing ( very important for working professionals). That means, I visualized my writing in my mind and checked it accordingly. 

2) Block 2 ( Polity, Governance, Society , Adminstration , covers GS1 part 2 and GS 2 full except the International Relations) :- Again  glanced through relevant sources already mentioned in my previous post ( Sources, Notemaking etc) . Did not do any new sources . Relied on previous year questions and again wrote some answers ( most of them mentally)  from Secure ,TlP, Vision etc. These were followed very selectively, as time permitted. By this time I had got a hang of the answer writing world ( i.e. Intro , Body , Conclusion etc).  Also made short notes of important issues from this block in a separate copy for ease of revision before exam. I advise making such notes on your own to have a mental map of issues. 

3) Block 3 ( Economy, Agriculture, Geogaphy, Industrial Locations and Disaster Management, covers GS3 full except Internal Security and GS1 part3) :-Here also the same steps as the previous block. Made relevant notes especially from the Economic Survey which had come out in July 2019.

4) Block 4 ( International Relations and Internal Security ) :- This was a dynamic group . So made notes from the current affairs and did answer writing accordingly ..most of them mental maps.

These blocks were made as per my convenience. Some other person may interlink the syllabus in their own way also. So the main lesson is not to follow others blindly and recalibrate the preparation as per one's constraints. For me the blockwise strategy instead of a daily plan and the art of mental answer writing helped me. I also advise making short notes on important issues from Mains perspective (  linking with current affairs , writing Pros, cons, Way forward etc) .to have a mental map .so that you are able to recall them easily in your exam. Since every person has different ways of retaining , I feel my notes will not be beneficial to others. Most of them would appear as gibberish and scribbles to you ( anyhow many pages are lost due to shifting our residence) . 

Now , as I entered into the above plan , I realized that almost every topper takes some Mains test series and even their answers are uploaded in some of the platforms . So I got a bit tensed..here I was struggling to get into hang of answer writing and there people were getting their answers checked by experts and moving ahead with constructive feedback. I checked into some portals but found most of them either too expensive or could not manage time properly for that ( I mean going to a test centre , coming back etc ..too much time !)  in my tight schedule. After a lot of thought process I decided to get past all these and give my best in whatever capacity I could. Meanwhile I managed to get 2 months unpaid leave from office ( 21st July to 20th September) and this was all I had with me during that time. 


Patterns in Answer Writing

Now coming to the actual patterns I followed in my answers. Actually , every question of UPSC requires a nuanced approach while answering. Moreover , since this is General studies, so diverse ways of answering questions are valued. So there are no fixed standards like you have to give points or give diagrams, maps, flowcharts to every answer. These are again some existing myths. Yes , pictorial illustrations increase the clarity of your thought process and helps in filling pages faster and looks good in your copy. But , if you are uncomfortable in that ( which I was) , you can avoid them too. In the actual GS papers , i drew very few diagrams ( 1 or 2 in GS1, GS2 and 2 or 3 in GS3). Most of my answers were a mix of points and paragraphs

The subheadings were directly imported from questions ( example if it written Critically analyse, I would use the format of 'Arguments in favour' and 'Arguments Against'). For the introduction part I tried to use either a definition ( like question on secularism,  define it first) or a statistic ( like question on women empowerment versus population control ..so start with thr TFR ( total fertility rates). I used maps and diagrams only to increase value to my answers ( example if there is a question on water stress in India , you can draw a map and show the areas / hotspots facing water scarcity instead of naming them. Then , there was a question on North east insurgency,  i drew the political map of NE and pointed out the conflict areas) . You can prepare them easily as per your comfort while answer writing and can form such templates to write faster. 

Finally the time constraints...This was the most fearful aspect to me for GS Mains. Just 3 weeks before the exam I decided to give 2 full length tests ( 8 tests each of 3 hours, and 2 papers each day ) to get actual exam like feeling. Since I had not joined any paid test series ..I went to Karol bagh market and bought 2 question papers and a upsc like copy ( one which has 2 columns in both sides). I highly recommend giving full lengh mocks at least a month before the exam .  Now , the stressful part was I could not complete a single GS paper in 3 hours in the mock tests at home !! I was writing for 2 to 3 full pages ( depending on 10 , 15 marks ) and ultimately had no time left even to scribble for the last 2 to 3 questions. This was when I realized that I needed to follow some basic rules of the exam..I decided to attempt all the questions irrespective of whether I knew them directly or not. By the time you reach Mains, if you have studied seriously for 1 year you have some knowledge about multiple issues. Example in the question on Cyberdome project ..though I had not encountered the name directly before , I knew basics of cyber security as per syllabus and I wrote that in a tactful way. So on an average out of 20 questions there were 5 to 7 questions which i knew  perfectly ( I mean straight out of what I studied ) , 10 to 12 questions I could manage to write average answers and the rest 4 to 5 questions , I knew nothing to very less ..but still attempted at the end to score at least 0.5 marks if not zero. For the time management part , before going to the exam hall I reminded myself multiple times that I will complete the 15 marks questions in the first 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours. If I would lag behind, then I would take up the pen and move on to the next , even if I would have to leave a question incomplete ! 

This is the link where you can find some sample answers that I wrote while practising. They are very disorganized and lot of scribbles here and there ( I used to self evaluate my answers ).In many cases , only the answer is there and not the question.( who knew I would have to share this ? :P ) 

 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zR_jSNqZQv7lXIAX_qtzH2vfwAuX7krf/view?usp=sharing

So this was my complete GS Mains strategy. Just an important disclaimer..this was my strategy based on my preparation till then. So it may not be applicable for all. However the important point is to strategize on your own and have faith in that ! 

 


Comments

  1. Thank you very much ma’am, these blogs are extremely helpful!
    While reading, it feels as if you’re speaking in-person; your experience provides us a valuable insight into a ‘sucessful journey’ of upsc preparations & to tune ours accordingly.
    Do continue the series & keep posting such blogs🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neha IAS,
    I accidently watched your interview on you tube yesterday night. I could not stop myself from listening to you and went one interview after the other.

    I was trying to find a platform to express my happiness after listening to you and I am here. Clarity of thoughts and simplicity is the beauty of your answer. I wish you are my friend or relative or something. I wonder how some people can shower lot of positivity to another person just through 30 minute interview.

    If you dont mind can you share your email ID (aravindcetce@gmail.com) ? If not atleast a reply here will make feel happy...

    Wish you all the best in life. I hope you will be posted in your home cadre, otherwise I should have wish you to come to Kerala cadre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My best wishes to you

      Delete
    2. How to contact you mam please let us know. I am also preparing from kolkata.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madam/Sister you are the inspiration for those who are thinking that cracking UPSC CSE in first attempt .That too working professional . Congratulations madam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ma'am for sharing your journey of mains answer writing..It has also been a nightmare for me but I think not giving up on what you are actually trying to achieve will ultimately lead to success, which happened with you too. Anyways, the idea that you gave through your blog about mains answer writing is much helpful and 1 thing you made very clear that the journey is obviously a difficult one, but it's not impossible to become successful in this journey. My best wishes to you for your IAS Career. Hope to meet you someday as my Senior, after getting Selected as an IAS. Stay safe and stay healthy. ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAM FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONS ❤️
    My question is if I watch Mrunal sir videoes but it is not updated so is it relevant for the 2021 Upsc.

    I mean if I watch and understand the things then I have to verify the data or update the data !!
    Please Elucidate it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Mam for the immense success you achieved. I saw all your mock interviews and found them very interesting
    .I am a graduated civil engineer of 2019 Batch (Gold Medal) and currently a bit confused to how to proceed to pursue my career...I was selected at a PSU called Engineers India Limited at a CTC of 15 lakhs. I am sharing the small achievements of mine just to ensure that you pay a little interest to guide me. I have cleared ESE UPSC Engineering Services Examination) prelims and in midway of mains whivh is being postponed till 18 October. I want to pursue Civil Services and since no person in my family and in close freinds hails from this fraternity I direly need a guidance. I know you must be very busy but I would be very thankful if you can fetch some precious minutes from your busy schedule.
    I would like to share my full query on email so if you find truth in my above please drop a message at my email id mayank3997@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mam, with due respect , any solution for bengali medium student from normal govt school, studied all madhyamik and HS in bengali language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didivai,
    Apnar interview ta amar mto job holder der kache ekta darpaner moto.thank you apnake apnar honest motamot dewar janna.anek sohoj vasai apni preparation r strategy blechen.apni jodi CURRENT AFFAIRS & ANSWER kivabe mix korbo seta ekta share koren khuub valo hoi.apnar ei blog ta bohu job holder student der jnna ekta poth dekhabe.thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you..may God bless you😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you madam,ata khub helpfull

    ReplyDelete
  13. DEAR MA'AM,

    WHICH MONTHLY COMPILATION DID YOU REFER FOR YOU CURRENT AFFAIRS? WERE VISION IAS AND INSIGHTS IAS MONTHLY COMPILATION ANY OF THEM? WHICH ONE IS BETTER ACCORDING TO YOU?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mam Did you opt for any target material for bengali compulsory paper? Or PYQs would suffice? I've came to know that there's a specific book for hindi referred by aspirants as well as suggested by toppers/mentors like Roman Saini..did you came to know about any such book for bengali?

    ReplyDelete
  15. May i have current affairs notes sample?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ma'am, Can you please share your marksheet

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for such a simple but very insightful guidance...it is very helpful..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mam please share ur marksheet mam of upse

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant ma'am

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maam u are awesome and very very thanx for the bolg it really helps a lot .. . . .
    Thank u .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maam I feel proud of you, pride of our Bengal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd like to express my gratitude for taking the time to read this fantastic book!!! I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and have you bookmarked to look out new content of your blog. It is a must-read blog!!!! Know more information about WS1 Pro Greenhouse Bundle, contact UbiBot Online Store.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ABHIPEDIA is providing multiple micro courses for UPSC conducting exams
    Click here for more info
    https://abhipedia.abhimanu.com/ALL/NABARD/3/Online-Video-Courses

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing your strategy

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post is so interactive and informative. keep updating more information. This post is very useful UPSC Aspirants. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Best IAS Coaching in Bangalore is the Achievers IAS Academy, the institute has dedicated itself to helping the aspirants of the nation succeed in their competitive examinations since its inception the Achievers IAS Academy has been churning out quality results and has been producing achievers that have helped the nation in numerous ways and take great pride in serving the nation, the institute is highly focused on the overall development of its students and provides students with great quality features and facilities such as comprehensive study material, Top IAS Coaching In Bangaloremock tests, doubt clearing sessions, small batch size classes, motivational sessions, guest seminars, guidance programs, mentorship programs, interactive online classes, online test series, weekly test series, monthly performance reports, online doubt clearing sessions, etc. Top IAS Coaching In Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello maam, I am a working professional preparing for UPSC 2022.your ideas are really insightful for us especially. Can you please share how can I manage to get Unpaid Leaves of 2 months post prelims as I am hopeful of clearing pre this time.
    Please reply.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Appreciated Blog! Keep it up
    I have some best UPSC Books list which will be helpful for the IAS Aspirants who are preparing for the Civil Service Exam 2023

    ReplyDelete
  29. Civil service hopefuls would be well-served to take geography as an elective due to the subject's adaptability and interdisciplinary nature. It's a high-scoring option that shares a lot of ground with the General Studies curriculum. Finding the top Geography Optional Coaching Online would be best, like Geographia IAS. Geographia IAS explains why you should take geography as an elective for the UPSC exam.

    ReplyDelete
  30. INDIA – RUSSIA RELATIONS | Ensure IAS

    India and Russia's enduring relationship, initially rooted in the Cold War, has grown into a resilient partnership. Focused on robust defense collaboration seen through joint exercises, the bond extends to exploring economic diversification and joint energy projects. Actively engaged globally in forums like the UN and BRICS, the partnership faces challenges from geopolitical shifts, prompting adaptability. In summary, India and Russia maintain a time-tested bond, navigating contemporary challenges with a foundation built on mutual respect and cooperation.
    INDIA – RUSSIA RELATIONS | Ensure IAS

    ReplyDelete
  31. INDIA-BANGLADESH RELATIONS

    India and Bangladesh, neighbors for 4,000 kilometers, share a strong bond from their joint fight for independence, especially during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War. This history turned into a solid partnership involving culture, economy, and diplomacy. Recent efforts like the Maitree Express and Integrated Check Post show growing economic teamwork. Agreements like the Ganges Water Sharing Treaty highlight joint commitment to resource sustainability. Despite challenges, the India-Bangladesh relationship remains strong, supporting stability and progress in South Asia.
    INDIA-BANGLADESH RELATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  32. GS SCORE- The Preliminary Test is by far the most challenging stage of the Civil Services Examination with nearly 5 lakhs candidates taking the test each year. GS Paper- 1 can’t be ignored or overlooked as it remains a deciding factor in the success of a candidate in the Preliminary Test. GS SCORE offers you IAS Prelims Test Seriesthat has been designed in a way that questions will check your clarity of thought, conceptual understanding, and consistency in your preparation. Enroll Now!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Staying Ahead: Leveraging UPSC Daily Current Affairs for Exam Success
    As an aspirant preparing for the UPSC examination, staying updated with current affairs is not just important; it's indispensable. theIAShub 'News Crux' is a valuable resource that streamlines the vast ocean of daily news into concise, digestible insights tailored for UPSC exam preparation. By integrating UPSC daily current affairs into your study routine, you not only enhance your knowledge base but also sharpen your analytical skills, critical for cracking the exam. Kudos to theIAShub for providing this invaluable tool, empowering aspirants like us to stay ahead in the race towards our UPSC goals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sources , Notemaking and Revising - Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, UPSC 2019)

Prelims - My Strategy till the D Day by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, CSE 2019)