Current Affairs - Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, UPSC CSE 2019)

 The word " Current Affairs ( CA) " always brings a dose of uncertainty and incompleteness in any aspirants journey. Common questions which come to our minds are :-

1) Should I read the newspaper? If yes how to read, which one to read ?

2) Should I make notes from newspaper ? If yes, how ?

3) Should I follow the online websites and daily news analysis videos for current affairs ? If yes, how and which ones ?

4) Can i skip everything and only rely on the monthly current affair PDFs ? 

5) When do I start reading CA..present ones  or since the ones 1 or 2 years  back  ? 

6) How much of CA is actually asked in the exam ? How to use them in answers ? 

Hope you can get answers to these questions through my strategy but before that, it is important we understand the correct approach behind CA. CA is not a separate subject which can be learnt just by watching some videos or reading some books before the exam. It is a continous and organic endeavour. It is intricately linked to our static parts..example , when you see a news concerning Rajya Sabha elections , you must revise/ take a look at this topic from Laxmikanth book. There will be many issues in the newspaper whose deepest essence can be understood only with time and familiarity with the topics. So, tackling CA is a very gradual exercise and it builds layer by layer and undoubtedly is the most important and overarching  component of UPSC CSE and even in the life of a civil servant ! Here is the description of my strategy 

Phase 1 ( Icebreaking) 

Around February March 2018 when I was still not sure of civil service as a career option, I used to visit my college library and grab The Hindu newspaper. I gradually started reading it. Understood it partially though but enjoyed knowing things around me. I remember after reading an article on net neutrality  I could speak so confidently about it with my friends 😛. It was like I was so much in the dark ..but now gradually the world was unravelling its secrets to me. Trump's plan in Palestine, Nirav Modi scam, electoral bonds , Right to Food campaign and what not ! At this stage , I spent around 3 to 4 hours with the newspaper and sometimes had to do adequate wiki search or refer to youtube videos for explanation (since everything is so new at this stage) .Sometimes I made short notes in my copy to understand issues better but never revised them later. I had not gone through the syllabus completely yet at this stage. This was more like an informal and  icebreaking episode in my preparation. ( PS :-  I will never forget those  nights at Kharagpur library when people around me were all upto merrymaking about farewell and those final semester blues 🙂 , and me ? ..well I was like that invisible seed which was being planted then but has shown some shoots now ) 

Phase 2 ( Getting on the track) 

Around May 2018 , when I came back to Kolkata, I had around 2.5 months before joining my job at Noida. By this time I had decided to pursue civil services and had also gone through the syllabus ( taken print out, tried to understand it comprehensively). I had also gone through many toppers talks via youtube, websites and their sources, booklist etc. After this I gradually chalked out my own strategy and sources for current affairs. 

I made 4 folders in Word ( on my desktop but synced via google drive to mobile also ). I made subsections based on syllabus. Since I was at home, I devoted almost the whole day for studying ( not in terms of hours , but effort wise) . I found the night time ( after dinner for 2 to 3 hours before sleep) the most suitable time for current affairs (reason being CA is actually endless and one can go on for hours for it...so I avoided it naturally due to sleep). 

I used to read The Hindu and took the guidance of IasBaba , Insights daily current affairs ( posted publicly in their respective  websites) to understand what to read and what not to read from the newspaper. Whatever topic i went through I used to link them into respective GS folders. Sometimes there used to be articles which were not easily understandable ..like RBI 's bimonthly monetary policy...but I documented it for future use. I also started reading Yojana at this phase and found it very colourful and lucid. Whatever I summarized from the Yojana articles, I appended them in those folders only. 

This was a more or less daily exercise with weekly revision on Sundays . But there were always aberrations. Like i remember when the news came that Trump had left the JCPOA I had to spend almost 2 days in understanding nuclear politics, India's 123 agreement , no first use , nsg etc. So yes , disruptions to your time table do occur and it is advisable that you lay emphasis on the content and enjoy the process rather than working like a mechanical clock. 

Phase 3 ( Work Life Balance) 

17th July 2018 was my joining date and I shall never forget the day of my orientation at office. During lunchtime , my batchmates were socializing with each other and all full of smiles and warmth all around. But me ? ..a weirdo rushing here and there through the office reception corridors to find whether there is a suitable place to read The Hindu during lunch 😛..incidentally I found a paperstand which became one of my favourite spots in office till the end. 

So now I tried hard to continue my CA strategy as mentioned in Phase 2. That time allotment on a daily basis was not feasible anymore due to tiredness after returning home, time for static subjects etc. But I refused to give up. Whatever was possible to do in lunchtime I did but somedays ( esp Wednesday onwards) I used to miss it altogether. Nevertheless I utilised the weekends for newspapers and copy pasting from iasbaba and insights website. 

I also revised these doc files from time to time. I tried to align the revision with static subjects. Example..when i completed Mrunal sir's lectures on Economy Pillat 6 ( Human Development) , i revised the CurrentsAffairs docs related to Gs 1 society , government schemes , my Yojana summaries etc). I think this experience of mine proves that directly doing CA from only Pdf may not be a solution. Regular newspaper brings you that familiarity with topics and helps you to interconnect GS syllabus as per your own analysis. 

Phase 4 ( Prelims is Coming) 

I followed the process mentioned above till Jan Feb 2020. Then gradually I took up the vision ias monthly current affair pdfs and revised. Prelims specific strategy ( which includes current affairs as well ) has been chalked out in the previous post ( https://nebanerjee.blogspot.com/2020/08/prelims-60-to-100-day-strategy.html) 

Phase 5 ( Mains focus) 

After Prelims , I thought of revising my Doc files , but could not get time for it. Instead I kept up reading the newspaper and made offline notes from it completely from Mains perspective. I noted down nice quotes , observed how arguments are coherently expressed in the editorials. I stopped following daily current affairs from websites due to lack of time. But Rajya Sabha Tv youtube channel turned out to be a big contributor in this phase. I used listen to Big Picture, India's World, In Depth, Policy Watch ( last 6 months playlist at 1.5 x ) during my lunch, dinner, office commute.  The most important part at this phase is to view current affairs as a part of your answer writing strategy. I did block wise answer writing after prelims ( will give detailed strategy in another post) and incorporated CA as a part of it . Example :- just a week before the actual Mains exam I had read about a Jan Soochna portal of Rajasthan government in The Hindu and I actually wrote about it in the real GS2 exam.  

Phase 6 ( End of the storm) 

After Mains I went very casual about the preparation and became a bit preoccupied with other things like job changing etc. Nor did I anticipate that I would get the interview call as I was a bit apprehensive about my performance in optional. Nevertheless I kept reading the newspaper but I changed it to The Indian Express. I found it really good , balanced and there is an Explained page which is very helpful. So it does not matter which newspaper you follow. If you are finding The Hindu is not accessible in your location or it is too costly to you, then no worries at all. In this phase , I made offline notes in my copy and revised it from time to time . I stopped referring to the daily current affairs and the monthly magazines . By this phase , it is more important to have your own analysis and insights. I tried to read other magazines like epw, frontline but found that the cost benefit ratio for those is too poor and thus left it. 





Comments

  1. Thanks...... Its really hit me....To Create 4 Folder for GS which you discussed under Phase 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all congratulations mam! You are now Bengal's pride.Madam please share your entire CSE preparation strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot maam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maam please share your electrical engg optional strategies..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hirak BhattacharjeeAugust 17, 2020 at 2:10 AM

    Maam, you are truly an inspiration. All the best for your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ma'am will it be fine if I am totally rely on monthly magazine like Vision IAS or Insight IAS for current affairs due to job constraints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Mam for interacting n sharing the stretagy n be an inspiration for young aspirants n lastly many many heartly congratulations....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ma'am there is no folder . How I get this folder.kindly reply please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Probably we might have crossed in KGP library or may be at Tikka or at Tech market 😛
    Just too proud to see a fellow kgpuan secure a rank .
    KGP ka tempo high hain !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maam, Where is the link? Previously I have found the link now it is not available.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ma'am I take 4 hours to read newspaper and still feel like something is left . I tried thinking what could be done but I find most of the things are important. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i came to read your strategy after watching your video on DKT channel on YouTube. i also need more time than standard topper's quoted time of "1.5 hours". Though i could not find that anywhere in topper's talk, i was very nervous about my take on CA. but after reading your strategy. i've gained confidence that it's more about your comfort and understanding of content rather than mechanical rigid timetable. thank you very much for such a pragmatic guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mam from where u did Mrunal lectures??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get High Quality Quotes and Status , High quality Dp And Best Collection of Badmashi Status , Sorry Status, Tana status, Rajput Status and bhaigiri Status.
    Soory status in Hindi, Badmashi in hindi ,
    Etc. and Daily news Update.
    Saheli status
    Tana Status
    Badmashi status
    Wajandaar Status
    Sorry Status
    Rajput Status
    bhaigiri Status

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can anyone share a rough timetable of 1 year preparation(GS +Optional ) for a working professional?

    ReplyDelete
  16. To improve your vocabulary and learn english in a fun way play free online word game and scrabble online multiplayer game

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Mam for sharing this blog, actually I really need this information for my preparation. From this blog I got idea for strategic plan for the competitive exam. I really appreciate you.
    IAS current affairs
    IAS parliament current affairs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you soo much for the info man
    UPSC LOUNGE is the best IAS coaching for UPSC civil services exam preparation. Join UPSC LOUNGE to know the strategy to clear IAS by the Best IAS UPSC Coaching in India.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much ma'am. It's really awesome post for every true UPSC Exam aspirats

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Nice Blog!!! Thank you for sharing information. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!

    Please visit our website by clicking the links given below.

    Daily Current Affairs
    Important Current Affairs
    current affairs today
    important current affairs 2021

    ReplyDelete
  21. IAS is considered to be one of the most difficult competitions among all other exams. Top IAS Coaching In Bangalore.Thus requires proper guidance and direction to get aware of the strategies regarding the exams besides hard work. So a good coaching with every facility required is very much recommended with a location having good transportation, cheap accommodation, Top IAS Coaching In Bangalore. cheap food availability and many more. Keeping in mind the criterions of choosing the location of the preferred coaching Bangalore would be one of the best options for studying IAS.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very nice guide. I will definitely follow these tips. Thank you for sharing such detailed article. Visit my website to get best Information About Top SSC coaching Institutes in Thane.

    Top SSC coaching Institutes in Thane
    Best SSC coaching Institutes in Thane

    ReplyDelete
  23. IAS Coaching in DELH

    i love your bloge and It's very help full for me

    IAS COACHIN IN DELHI

    ReplyDelete
  24. Insights IAS is the most sought-after UPSC coaching in Bangalore . If you want to improve your chances of getting selected for the IAS exams, we have an excellent program for you. For many years now, our UPSC coaching has been training students for these exams with great success. So if you are serious about IAS/IPS exams, contact us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This Blogs is very nice and it is very helpfull for me


    Visit: https://greenium.in/

    ReplyDelete
  26. GREEN GIFTING IN DELHI

    The blog is very nice and this is very helpfull for me


    GREEN GIFTING

    ReplyDelete
  27. ENGLISH MEDIUM IAS COACHING IN DELHI
    IAS Coaching English medium in Delhi if you want to preparing in English medium and crack Exam. So we will going to help you

    ENGLISH MEDIUM IAS COACHING IN DELHI

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is an awesome post. Really very informative and creative contents. Visit my website to get best Information About Best UPSC Coaching Institute in Maharashtra.
    Best UPSC Coaching Institute in Maharashtra
    Top UPSC Coaching Institute in Maharashtra

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing this! We offer a comprehensive curriculum that covers all aspects of the IAS exam. IAS Coaching in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for sharing such detailed Blog. I am learning a lot from you. Visit my website to get best Information About Best IAS Coaching Institute in Ranchi.
    Best IAS Coaching Institute in Ranchi
    Top IAS Coaching Institute in Ranchi

    ReplyDelete
  32. A very nice guide. I will definitely follow these tips. Thank you for sharing such detailed article. Visit my website to get best Information About Best Civil Services Coaching in Noida.
    Best Civil Services Coaching in Noida
    Top Civil Services Coaching in Noida

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is an awesome post. Really very informative and creative contents. Visit my website to get best Information About Best MBA Coaching in Ghaziabad.
    Best MBA Coaching in Ghaziabad
    Top MBA Coaching in Ghaziabad

    ReplyDelete
  34. Best strategy for the current affairs, because its play and important role for the candidates who are preparing for the UPSC.
    UPSC Exam Pattern
    current affairs

    ReplyDelete
  35. Madam,how much time should I take to complete my newspaper?(including editorial).
    It is very hard to to complete editorials within 3 hours.
    Please help me with this.

    ReplyDelete
  36. After completing newspaper, I get very less time to revise it. Note making process sometimes take long hours.

    ReplyDelete
  37. amazing! This is such lovely information. It was an interesting blog that also aids in the growth of our company. I asked you to continue publishing articles like these. Software Development Company in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  38. IAS Score is a leading institute that provides daily current affairs updates for UPSC preparation. The institute believes that keeping up with Current Affairs and understanding their implications is vital to achieving success in the UPSC exam.

    ReplyDelete
  39. IAS Score is widely regarded as the best IAS coaching institute in Delhi, providing comprehensive and result-oriented coaching for aspiring civil servants. With a track record of consistent success and a reputation for excellence, IAS Score has emerged as a preferred choice among UPSC aspirants.

    ReplyDelete

  40. GSSCORE- The preparation of UPSC CSE demands a calibrated approach to tackle various aspects like basic concepts, their application in the examination, ability to articulate through answer writing, regular updates and dynamic approach with a focus on current affairs. Hence it needs a effort to make a lot of entities work in concert.GS Score UPSC Coaching in Delhi Foundation program serves each of the above vital components covering all the subjects for GS. Visit a Website Now!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your blog is a haven for positivity. Thanks for spreading good vibes! Aslo read this post The Best CA Coaching Institute in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  42. INDIA – RUSSIA RELATIONS | Ensure IAS

    India and Russia's enduring relationship, initially rooted in the Cold War, has grown into a resilient partnership. Focused on robust defense collaboration seen through joint exercises, the bond extends to exploring economic diversification and joint energy projects. Actively engaged globally in forums like the UN and BRICS, the partnership faces challenges from geopolitical shifts, prompting adaptability. In summary, India and Russia maintain a time-tested bond, navigating contemporary challenges with a foundation built on mutual respect and cooperation.
    INDIA – RUSSIA RELATIONS | Ensure IAS

    ReplyDelete
  43. INDIA-BANGLADESH RELATIONS

    India and Bangladesh, neighbors for 4,000 kilometers, share a strong bond from their joint fight for independence, especially during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War. This history turned into a solid partnership involving culture, economy, and diplomacy. Recent efforts like the Maitree Express and Integrated Check Post show growing economic teamwork. Agreements like the Ganges Water Sharing Treaty highlight joint commitment to resource sustainability. Despite challenges, the India-Bangladesh relationship remains strong, supporting stability and progress in South Asia.
    INDIA-BANGLADESH RELATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Staying Ahead: Leveraging UPSC Daily Current Affairs for Exam Success
    As an aspirant preparing for the UPSC examination, staying updated with current affairs is not just important; it's indispensable. theIAShub 'News Crux' is a valuable resource that streamlines the vast ocean of daily news into concise, digestible insights tailored for UPSC exam preparation. By integrating UPSC daily current affairs into your study routine, you not only enhance your knowledge base but also sharpen your analytical skills, critical for cracking the exam. Kudos to theIAShub for providing this invaluable tool, empowering aspirants like us to stay ahead in the race towards our UPSC goals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sources , Notemaking and Revising - Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, UPSC 2019)

Mains - Tackling GS1, GS2, GS3 Strategy by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, CSE 2019)

Prelims - My Strategy till the D Day by Neha Banerjee ( AIR 20, CSE 2019)